Just a few things I’ve liked and disliked over the past couple of months.
- Broadchurch and The Politician’s Husband – both of which happened to feature David Tennant. Now I wasn’t a fan of the old Dr. Who before but was massively impressed by his acting in both the series.
- Aldi Carino Provive Hairspray - This Aldi hairspray is the only one I have ever found to rival Elnett. Elnett still has the edge but this one is still my second choice and at under a pound the Aldi hairspray is phenomenal value for such a good product.
- Cadbury Marvellous Creations Cookie Nut Crunch – If I was an OMG! sort of person, those would be the first words I’d say. Am a terrible chocoholic anyway and anything with Cadbury Dairy Milk has got to be good….. but the Marvellous Creations is just soooo yummy!
- Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow really does do what it says on the box and what a pretty little box it is too! All other cream eyeshadows I’ve ever tried end up creasing in the fold but this Benefit one is brilliant. I love it and the gorgeous packaging is a bonus too.
- I love my new bag from Next to bits. My last everyday bag was way too cavernous for my liking and I was constantly delving around in it trying to find stuff. It was very much a spontaneous purchase and a bargain one at that as it was only £24. I’ve just had a peek and I can see they’ve got it online too – the Nude Mini Grab Bag . It looks a bit dark in the pic I’ve taken but if you click on the Next link you can see it’s a bit lighter. Everything has it’s place in it and it’s almost impossible to lose your keys in, which is always a good sign
- Amie Skin Shield Daily Moisturiser SPF15 – I thought I was going to like this as the words on the packaging gave me such hope. ‘For soft, hydrated skin with anti-ageing protection….. UVA & UVB protection….free from parabens etc etc….’ – sounds good doesn’t it? The thing is what it didn’t say was that it would take forever and a day to sink into my skin so I couldn’t actually put any make-up on. It literally left a white residue all over my face. One day I waited half an hour after I came out of the shower and it still hadn’t soaked into my skin so I ended up washing it off and putting another moisturiser on instead. Sorry Amie – I wanted to love you, I really did.
- The design of the Colgate Toothpaste tubes. I haven’t bought Colgate for a little while but I had a voucher for the Sensitive Pro-Relief so I thought I’d buy it. The tubes are really hard to squeeze as they seem to be made of a material which springs back before you’ve managed to get any toothpaste out. Very poor design but ok toothpaste.
As I’m about to go off to Rome for a 4 Day Break to ‘celebrate’ a very Big Birthday this week, I thought I’d have a go at the Docteur Renaud Carrot Radiance Programme. I’ve got to say that I was kind of expecting wonders from this little pack of very professional and magical looking vials and tubes. Just the name ‘Docteur Renaud’ and COSMETIK with that Teutonic ‘K’ sounds efficient in itself.
The treatment involved 3 steps:
Step 1 : Regenerate! Apply a peeling solution containing soft fruit AHAs with a cotton ball all over your face and neck. Leave it on for 5 mins & then rinse off.
Step 2 : Energize! Apply a concentrate of Vitamin C (10%) to your face and neck but don’t wash off.
Step 3 : Illuminate! Apply a radiance mask containing Carrot all over the face. Leave on for 10 mins then rinse off.
All I can say was that my skin felt good afterwards but the overall effect was no different to when I use a my usual mild facial exfoliater and my usual moisturisers. So nice enough but nothing special, sorry Docteur Renaud!
Comvita Radiance Plus Moisturiser is a really lovely moisturiser which you’re meant to use at night after cleansing and toning.
I’ve never been one for toning so in my case I use it after taking my make-up off every night. I haven’t tried using it in the daytime yet but I’m tempted to, as it doesn’t seem at all greasy to me like many of the night-time creams and it really does make my skin look good. It’s meant to reveal ‘a brighter, more translucent complexion’ and although I’m not entirely sure about the ‘translucent’ bit, my skin does feel a bit brighter.
The Radiance Plus Moisturiser contains Comvita®’s clinically researched HUNI®XA Manuka honey. This weird & wonderful ingredient apparently supports the skin’s natural elasticity and can help to delay the signs of ageing. Well it would be wonderful if it did live up to its claim but I personally don’t take the blurbs and claims on any beauty products’ packaging all that seriously. I know I like this moisturiser and I don’t really know why. It sinks in well, has a lovely texture, smells good and seems to do the business. MyPure where I bought this moisturiser, always has really good offers and bonus products when you buy, so it’s defintely worth taking a look
What more can I say except don’t forget that everything sold by mypure is sulfate free, paraben free & phthalate free. And we all love beauty products without all the added nasties, don’t we?
June 16 2011
I’ve been using Senzimi Cleanser and Moisturiser over the past few weeks and apart from the scent of the cleanser, I am pretty impressed.
The cleanser has an unfortunate scent for what is basically a good and very effective product. No such problem with the moisturiser though and this is one I will almost definitely buy again.
The sensitive daily moisturiser is absorbed easily enough although when you first put it on, it does seem quite thick. It claims to help ‘promote cell growth and boosts natural protection against UV damage and the appearance of age spots’ but who knows…..? The sensitive cleanser is mild and sulphate-free and is gentle enough not to strip the skin of its natural oils.
I like to know what’s in the stuff I put on my face. Are there preservatives and parabens? How ‘natural’ is the product really? And if you’re concerned about the ingredients in your skincare products too, the Senzimi website is certainly worth looking at. In a nutshell, Senzimi products aren’t the most exciting in the world of skincare but hey, they do what they say on the packet, so who’s complaining!
April 8 2011
Before I go any further, let me just say that I love, love, love A’kin Lavender & Rose Moisturising Night Cream. The scent alone is a winner. So many of the ‘natural’ moisturisers, I’ve been trying recently, smell quite unpleasant but this one is lovely. (Although the A’kin daytime rose-scented one still remains my alltime favourite.) The lavender-scented anti-oxidant Night Time Face Cream includes alpha lipoic acid, Vitamin A, B5, C & E amongst its ingredients and for such a rich cream is really quickly absorbed.
Sometimes I read other peoples’ comments about products and most seem to say that the A’kin moisturisers make their skin feel smoother and look more glowing. Then there are the rave reviewers who enthuse that their fine lines and wrinkles seem to be diminished! Well, I never feel I can conclusively say things like that but I can say without hesitation that my skin definitely feels lovely and soft! And more importantly perhaps, this is a product I WILL be buying again.
As I’ve said before, everything sold by mypure is sulfate free, paraben free & phthalate free so if you’re trying to avoid skincare products which are packed full of chemicals then MyPure is the site to visit.
After months and months of struggling to find decent skincare products whicharen’t packed full of a zillion ‘nasty ingredients’, I’ve just come across the A’kin range from MyPure. I’ve been using the A’kin Rose de Mai Anti-Oxidant Day Creme. It’s a lovely rose-scented moisturiser which sinks in well, is really well absorbed and doesn’t leave my skin greasy for ages – something I’ve found with a few other moisturisers ‘sans nasties’ . It’s similar in many respects to the Weleda Rose Range which I love and is a big favourite of mine. One thing’s for sure, I know I will definitely be buying A’kin products again and MyPure.co.uk is already in my Bookmarks!.
A’kin products are free from parabens, sulfates, phthalates, ethoxylates, propylene glycol,silicones, petrochemical cleansers, mineral oils, DEA & artificial colours. They are also suitable for vegans, are 100% natural botanical aromatherapy and formulated without animal ingredients or anilmal testing.
Who’d have thought that the humble, weird-looking pomegranate would one day be one of the most sought after ingredients in ladies skincare products? The fun we had, us children of the ’70s, picking up those ruby pearls of strangely tasteless fruit with a dangerously sharp needle! How could we have predicted such a reversal of fortune for this most insignificant of fruits?
Last year I became a convert to the Weleda Pomegranate Regenerating Hand Cream – Fantastic stuff which sinks in like a dream, leaving your hands soft and silkily smooth.
Well the latest addition to my daily routine is Pomegranate Firming Day Cream and Pomegranate Firming Face Serum. I haven’t got the eye cream yet as I’m still finishing off my Weleda Wild Rose eye cream which has rapidly become my favourite eye cream ever. Not least because it contains none of the nasties most of the other eye creams out there seem to have.
Anyway back to the mighty pomegranate which, in case you didn’t know, is not only packed full of lovely antioxidants but also naturally firms and tightens your skin. I really love all the Weleda Pomegranate Range that I’ve tried so far and will definitely be buying Weleda products again and again. How could anyone not love products which really are ‘all natural’ and not just pretending to be so, like many of the other brands out there.
Weleda products have No synthetic preservatives, No synthetic fragrances, No synthetic chemicals and No synthetic anythings! On their site they say, ‘We aim to use only the purest wild-crafted, organically and Biodynamically cultivated ingredients for our products. Toxins, additives and raw materials from mineral oils simply won’t do.’
Well done Weleda for making products which prove that natural doesn’t have to be ineffective and that you don’t need horrible chemicals and artificial additives to make cracking moisturisers which really do the job!